And your example does not even include street addresses, which I must have. For one grandfather, I have over 20 addresses within a mile or so in Philadelphia, and just using the city would be no help at all.

      Elizabeth C

Gene Young wrote:
ci...@treadles.ca wrote:

And what does the USA have within counties? Do they have townships?
I'll give you an example.

I am from the
Hamlet of Montrose
in the township of Cortland Manor
in the county of Westchester
in the State of New York
in the U.S.A.

That would be

Montrose, Cortlandt Manor, Westchester, New York, USA

Thats 5 place names and it is in the USA so you can see that the 4 place format doesn't always fit here either. But 4 places is a reasonable compromise and you can set your reports to eliminate extra commas so I see no problem with people unfamiliar with Legacy ever seeing an extra comma.