The trick is to evaluate all sources on these three bases:

1. Original or derivative source? (Digital or microfilm image can be treated
as original.
2. Primary or secondary information. Was the record created close to the
time of the event? Was the informant involved in the event personally?
3. Direct or indirect evidence. Does it say that John Does was born on this
specific date? Or does it say that his sister was born in X year, and her
brother, John Doe, was born three years later?

A primary source might be of less value than a secondary source, depending
on the circumstances. It is up to you to evaluate them on the continuum of
all three standards.

Janis