From: k...@legacyfamilytree.com [mailto:k...@legacyfamilytree.com] On Behalf
Of Brian Beddor
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 8:33 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] When to fill in the Repository?

Hi,
I'm using the newest Legacy 7 version.

When adding a master source using Source Writer there is a tab for
"Repository" where one can fill in where the source is located.  The
video "Legacy's Ultimate Guide to Sources" section "2) Add a New Source"
has Geoff Rasmussen using the example of adding a new source which is a
book.  He mentions that since a book is published the title should be in
italics.  He then shows the Repository tab which listed the Family
History Library in Utah.

Also, in the Legacy video "Researching w/Legacy: Events & Chronologies",
section "2 - Census Records" has Geoff entering a sample census record
that he found at Ancestry.  After entering the source information, Geoff
says to "be sure to fill in the repository".

So, for the most part I've been filling in the address of the Repository
when I know it.

However, I've been looking at Elizabeth Shown Mills' book "Evidence
Explained" she seems to indicate only non-published material has the
repository cited.
"2.19 Citing Repositories
When citing manuscripts that exist in only one place, the identity of
that repository is an essential part of our citation. When citing books,
film, and other published materials that are widely available, the name
of the repository at which we used the source is not included in our
formal citation."

"2.33 Core Elements to Cite
...Within this architecture, a website is not a repository.
Conceptually, the repository is the Internet or the World Wide Web. The
distinction matters. When a citation template within our data-management
software asks us to identify a repository, we invoke a basic rule
covered at 2.19: in published citations, repositories are cited only for
manuscript material exclusive to the repository where we used it.
Repositories are not cited for published sources. To enter a website's
name as our repository would be to say that the website's name I not an
essential part of the citation. Therefore, the software might
automatically omit it in printing out reference notes."

So, two questions:
1.  Using Legacy, should one always fill in the Repository when known or
only when it is for unpublished material?
2.  Does the Legacy software automatically figure out if the Repository
should be included in the citation and only put it in when appropriate?

Thanks,
Brian

The information contained in this message is confidential. If you are not
the
intended recipient, dissemination or copying of this information is
prohibited.

and
delete the message from your system. Thank you.