Gayle,

If all you need is to have your Legacy data available for referance
use GRAMPS Portable at http://portableapps.com/node/18728 .

Install GRAMPS on a USB drive then export Legacy file to GEDCOM and
import into GRAMPS. I have done this without a problem.

I  do not recomend making changes in Gramps then try to merge back to
Legacy but at least you should have your data as reference.
Also GRAMPS is by no means a replacement for Legacy just a way of
making the data portable.

G.C. Oliver
Athens, Ga.