Connie Sheets wrote
Personally, I think it is a very bad idea to link people in your database until you have obtained solid direct evidence of a relationship, or you have completed a "reasonably exhaustive search" so that you can construct a proof argument using indirect evidence. (It's more complicated than that, but that is the basic guideline I use).

Surely this is where the Surety Level field of Source Citations comes in?

If you evidence is largely circumstantial, use a 0 or 1 rating; if you think it is somewhat stronger then use a 2.

Exactly what level is used rather depends on personal evaluation of the Source - what might be considered level 4 proof by one person might only be rated 3 by another. Some people, probably you Connie, would not link anyone in their family file unless the evidence rated at least a 3.

Personally, I would enter everyone in who I had "an interest" but not link anyone where the evidence rated 0.

Other people looking at my data can not only see my sources and judge their value for themselves, but can also see how much confidence I had in them - that is, when I remember to adjust that field!
--
Jenny M Benson