Jenny,

I actually agree with both yourself and Connie. In my first comment on this
thread I said that I would quite likely leave them unlinked, as per Connie's
method, but obviously whether I would or not does depend on the strength of the
evidence.

It is, of course, a matter of judgement when one does decide to link two
people, and like yourself I would set the surety levely to an appropriate level.

Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 21:02:11 +0100
> To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com
> From: ge...@cedarbank.me.uk
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How to Represent a "Best Fit" Ancestor
>
> Connie Sheets wrote
>>Personally, I think it is a very bad idea to link people in your
>>database until you have obtained solid direct evidence of a
>>relationship, or you have completed a "reasonably exhaustive search" so
>>that you can construct a proof argument using indirect evidence. (It's
>>more complicated than that, but that is the basic guideline I use).
>
> Surely this is where the Surety Level field of Source Citations comes
> in?
>
> If you evidence is largely circumstantial, use a 0 or 1 rating; if you
> think it is somewhat stronger then use a 2.
>
> Exactly what level is used rather depends on personal evaluation of the
> Source - what might be considered level 4 proof by one person might only
> be rated 3 by another. Some people, probably you Connie, would not link
> anyone in their family file unless the evidence rated at least a 3.
>
> Personally, I would enter everyone in who I had "an interest" but not
> link anyone where the evidence rated 0.
>
> Other people looking at my data can not only see my sources and judge
> their value for themselves, but can also see how much confidence I had
> in them - that is, when I remember to adjust that field!
> --
> Jenny M Benson

Get the best of MSN on your mobile
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/147991039/direct/01/