Paula,

That is far from a stupid question, and is one which I have often asked myself.
Like yourself, I am sure I have used it in both ways, as an assessment of the
strength of the reporting, or of the evidence itself.

So I suppose my answer would be that it is an assessment as to the overall
likelihood of the evidence being correct, relevant and appropriate. A rather
vague definition but, as far as I can see the best we've got!

Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 13:51:10 -0700
> From: paula.ryb...@sbcglobal.net
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] How to Represent a "Best Fit" Ancestor
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>

> So, at the risk of asking a stupid question... The surety level is a rating
> of how well you think the source document supports the data? Not a rating of
> how accurate you think the source document is. Like: I'm positive this census
> listing proves my grandfather is the son of these people, but I'm only
> reasonably sure the age of my grandfather in the listing was enumerated OR
> I'm pretty sure the birth place of my grandfather's father is enumerated
> incorrectly...? The census IS the census... surety=4, but some data on it is
> inaccurate, while others are accurate but don't for sure prove my
> relationship...? Just wondering out loud, because I think I have used the
> surety level in different ways at different times. (eek!)
> Please DO feel free to point me to someplace that explains this field's use,
> since I probably have not read it. ;)
> Thanks,
> --Paula
>
> --- On Wed, 7/8/09, Jenny M Benson wrote:
>
>> Connie Sheets wrote
>>> Personally, I think it is a very bad idea to link
>> people in your database until you have obtained solid direct
>> evidence of a relationship, or you have completed a
>> "reasonably exhaustive search" so that you can construct a
>> proof argument using indirect evidence. (It's more
>> complicated than that, but that is the basic guideline I
>> use).
>>
>> Surely this is where the Surety Level field of Source
>> Citations comes in?
>>
>> If you evidence is largely circumstantial, use a 0 or 1
>> rating; if you think it is somewhat stronger then use a 2.
>>
>> Exactly what level is used rather depends on personal
>> evaluation of the Source - what might be considered level 4
>> proof by one person might only be rated 3 by another.
>> Some people, probably you Connie, would not link anyone in
>> their family file unless the evidence rated at least a 3.
>>
>> Personally, I would enter everyone in who I had "an
>> interest" but not link anyone where the evidence rated 0.
>>
>> Other people looking at my data can not only see my sources
>> and judge their value for themselves, but can also see how
>> much confidence I had in them - that is, when I remember to
>> adjust that field!
>> -- Jenny M Benson

With Windows Live, you can organise, edit, and share your photos.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/134665338/direct/01/