I will second Jenny's suggestion. It is simply a good computing practice to discipline yourself to close all open programs first before initiating the Windows shutdown. When we say "open programs", that means things such as Word, Legacy, Outlook Express/Windows Mail and so on that *you* opened. Other programs that load automatically and are found down in the task bar such as the Anti-Virus, Firewall, etc. typically do not need to be closed independently.

Gary Templeman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jenny M Benson" <ge...@cedarbank.me.uk>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 1:58 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Another backup problem

John S. Adams wrote
I have Legacy 7.0.0.97 Deluxe, Win XP, 1 Gb RAM, 250 Gb hard drive. I have "Reminder to make a backup when exiting Legacy" checked. When I close Legacy by using the program "Exit" icon or clicking "Exit" on the "File" drop down menu, I get the "Are you sure you want to exit Legacy?" message. If I check "Yes," I get the backup reminder. However, if Legacy is open when I turn off the computer using the windows icon, I get the "Are you sure..." message. If I check "Yes," Legacy closes immediately and does not display the backup reminder.

If I backup my file using the Backup Family File command on the File dropdown menu, it backs up correctly. If I then close the computer using the Windows mandated procedure, THEN I get the backup reminder, even though I just backed it up.

Annoying.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

My only thought is that I would always close all programs down correctly before shutting down the computer, if at all possible. Lots of programs " do things" (delete temporary files, etc) when they are closed down and should be given the opportunity to do so.
--
Jenny M Benson