Valerie,

As someone who tests web pages in Firefox, Opera, Chrome, Bing, Safari, IE6,
IE7, and IE8 I would be grateful if you could identify the source for these
revelations, which are totally new to me.

I agree that there are some problems with IE8 but not the ones which you
identify. I have not known a browser to, nor can I see how a browser can,
destroy a web page. I would add that the only pages which do not present
correctly in IE8 are those which are either, a) badly written eg. think it's
still IE6, or b) use propriety coding. IE8 is the most standards compliant
browser which MS has produced, although it still contains one or two of the
well known, and easily avoidable, MS quirks.

I still prefer Firefox for writing web pages, though. I would add that not only
do I write my own coding, but I also use some of the Legacy codings as well and
I have yet to have them destroyed by IE8.

Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> From: lask...@att.net
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Gedcom problem uploading to Ancestry
> Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 17:40:19 -0500
>
> You may encounter future problems uploading with any browsers. There have
> been security updates to both Firefox and IE and other browsers. You may
> want update your Firefox to at least the 3.0.13 version. Now IE 8.0 has
> many problems with rendering grouped objects and other graphics; hence, I
> would stick with a 7.x version of IE until Microsoft can work out their bugs
> -- and the bugs in their recent "bug fix"; which destroyed many peoples web
> pages they designed on their own computer.
>
> Anyway, all of these security updates are checking for "certificates". You
> will have to check on making Ancestry a "trusted site" or other workarounds
> if it's a certificate issue. The warning "pop-ups" display and then
> disappear very fast. I would have all other windows minimized and then drag
> the window with Ancestry.com to the lower half of the page right before you
> submit the upload. This way, you can see the windows error windows
> "pop-up". Sometimes they are hidden behind your browser screen and the
> "status bar" does not contain anything for them.
>
> Valerie

Windows Live Messenger: Thanks for 10 great years—enjoy free winks and
emoticons.
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/157562755/direct/01/