From: ronald ferguson <ronfe...@msn.com>
To: legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 7:28:16 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Adding DOCUMENTS to an individuals record

Mike, Sharon, GC,

To be clear, whether or not a file (of the types we are talking about) can be
viewed in Legacy is nothing to do with Legacy. As Brian says it is dependant on
whether on one's PC the software is present to be able to read it. For example,
a .DOC file will only be read if one has Word or OpenOffice (or a couple of
other programs) installed, *and* the file types are associated in Windows with
those files. The one exception being that Legacy does not like four character
extensions such as .JPEG (always use .JPG which is exactly the same).

Yes, programs such as Irfan view can change one image format to another eg.
.TIFF or .BMP to .JPG but the reason for so doing is due to other
considerations, of which file size is the main one. Thus it is common, and good
practice IMO, use the .TIFF format for permanent use and .JPG for use in
applications. The reason being that constant saving will degrade a .JPG but not
a .TIFF. There are better ways of doing this but I am simplifying.

Which brings me to Legacy and the question of file size. When one clicks on a
picture image on the Assigned Sources Screen, I have known Legacy to baulk at
displaying the image when the file size is too large (I do not know the tipping
point), which is why it is much better to use the smaller file sizes for
images, such as .JPG or .PNG rather than .TIFF or .BMP. One should also reduce
the physical image size to something that is realistic for the proposed use eg.
there is no point in having a picture which is 2000px x 1500px when it will
never be displayed at that size. Also, as Jenny has pointed out on several
occasions, Ancestry.com saves its images as RBG and lots of bytes can be saved
by converting to greyscale. These GC, maybe associated with your problems, but
you give too little information to be sure.

Sharon, I cannot answer your question as you do not say what the file types
are, nor even whether you can read them with your currently installed software,
which as you will see from the above is the important consideration. You may
also have a defective file (Irfan View will tell you), or one with an incorrect
file extension.

Sorry about this long post (for me) but I thought it about time we had another
full explanation as to how this lot works :-).

Tutorials: Programme of adding videos commenced
http://www.fergys.co.uk/
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

________________________________
> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 16:12:24 -0700
> From: michaelbarb...@yahoo.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Adding DOCUMENTS to an individuals record
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>

> I admit I am not computer savvy. Is there a way to convert and save pictures
> from one format to another format (e.g., from JPG to something else)? If so,
> can you then import the pictures with an acceptable Legacy format into
> Legacy, open and view the pictures and be able to print them?
>

> In necessariis unitas, in dubiis libertas, in omnibus autem caritas.
> In essentials unity, in doubtful things liberty, but in all things love.
> St. Augustine (A.D. 354 - 430)

Upgrade to Internet Explorer 8 Optimised for MSN.

http://extras.uk.msn.com/internet-explorer-8/?ocid=T010MSN07A0716U