From: k...@legacyfamilytree.com [mailto:k...@legacyfamilytree.com] On Behalf
Of MJ Harper
Sent: Wednesday, 2 September 2009 7:38 a.m.
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Can't Recover Functionality from Crash

At 07:35 AM 9/1/2009, you wrote:
>Yes, I have had *part* of this problem. I didn't have the Locations
>problem, but I was unable to cleanly uninstall Legacy because of
>that install.log problem.
>
>I was afraid to delete all the files and folders as some have
>suggested. I ended up re-installing a new Legacy pgm from the
>website and all appears OK except for my original problems relating
>to Vista. (which don't pertain to this thread)

Well, I've un and re and un and re installed several times
now.  There is no INSTALL.LOG.file that I can find in C:\\Legacy, and
using the search function, I'm told that that's not a valid
file/folder.  (Which is consistent with the message that the program
can't be uninstalled because Windows can't find the
INSTALL.LOG.file.)  Everything I try with the program in the
meantime, in terms of setting preferences, index columns and all
that, comes undone the next time I boot up,if not the next time I
start the program.  So I'm going to have to call Legacy and talk with
them in person.  I'm afraid to do anything with my data until this
post-crash unintelligibility is fixed.

BTW, many of the online tech help instructions are way out of
date.  Some refer to reinstalling, for instance, Legacy 5 or on
another page Legacy 6, and there are various other obviously
not-looked-at-for-a-time instructions as well.  For instance, at one
point they say to run ScanDisk, and I remember that
functionality.  But I couldn't find any reference to it on my XP
edition.  Using Windows Help, I learn that ScanDisk no longer
functions, but there is ChkDsk instead.  Those instructions were
sufficiently complicated that I didn't want to touch that
process.  Especially since there's no assurance at all that that
would do any more good than anything else I've tried.

I thought there was someone from Legacy monitoring this list who
would step in with suggestions or talk with me off list about it, but
that hasn't happened, so maybe that doesn't exist, either.  So it
looks like all I can do is call them, and they say they'll call me
back the next day or two.  Great -- thanks, folks.  I love the
program, but the tech support doesn't make the grade, and I'm a bit
disgusted about the whole thing.

Mary Jo Harper
mjohar...@comcast.net
Legacy Deluxe