Mike,

You are lucky to find a book about your small town. I had assumed that you were
relying more on LDS microfilms, but the online catalog only shows one film
series for your town. It is only for 1809-1860. However, it does consist of 12
separate physical microfilms. Like my ancestral towns, there are separate films
for births, marriages, etc., and date ranges for each film. I assume that you
got your post-1860 civil and church records by visiting the town. Again, when I
visited Noci (BA), the physical books containing the original records (civil
and church) were organized by date ranges and type of record. To me, each
physical book (or microfilm) should be identified in the citation and is
logically a master source. If another researcher were to attempt to locate my
source, this information would help them.

When I started, I was a splitter. I found that I had a lot of trouble being
consistent -- remembering how to word each ('basic style') source so that they
would appear consistent in reports. Two things have solved that: more lumping
of master sources, and now the SourceWriter templates. I find capturing sources
tedious and I appreciate even the smallest economy of not having to re-enter
the information about the master source each time.

Another thing to consider is the concept of 'subsequent citations'. As you will
see in the LUG archive, this is still a bit buggy, but the idea is that the
printed citation can be briefer, saving space, when you cite the same master
source after the first time.

   Ward

P.S.: I think your latest response below should have been addressed to CE Wood,
not to me.