My answers are below...

1)-What are your opinions on what information to cite?  I have some individuals
in my family who appear in many records; for example, one of my 6th
great-grandfathers appears no less than 17 times in church records.  Is it
appropriate for me to create citations for all 17 times his name appeared in
the records?

If each entry is completely distinct them I would record them all.  It just
gives you a better picture of your ancestor.  For example, My Obedience Lee
Perry should up in many church records mainly because she was a bit of a rebel
and she was always being called on the carpet :) :) :)

2)-For more recent ancestors, their names may appear dozens of times in various
records.  Do I cite only the most reliable (vital, church records) ones or cite
other obscure ones as well that give the same information?  This is something
that I have been thinking about for a long time and just need some opinions on
it.

I always cite all references to a particular fact.  It shows that I have
checked everything.  For example, a date of death...  I might have
cemetery record
obituary
death certificate
Bible record
SSDI

Sometimes they won't all agree!  If I just picked one to use then I might be
missing something.  Just because I have a Bible record doesn't mean I am not
going to look for the grave or an obit or a death certificate.

Michele