Mary Horner wrote
The problem is Jenny; I was trying to find the connection between Canada and Ireland. There is one person who is very active on the message boards when I do searches for my direct line surname. I have discovered that he pirates others' information and plugs it into his imaginary tree. I worry that he is going to have the data so compromised that if I ever actually get over there to search, the truth will have been lost in the fiction. I see red ever time I find his name on a message board. I know I can't trust his info but what about all the poor people who don't know better?

I'm sorry, it may sound selfish but I don't consider "all the poor people" to be my responsibility. It's up to them to do what I did - learn. (But in my own defence, I must point out that anyone who has been around LUG for more than a few days will know that I am very willing to help others learn and that I am still learning myself.)

As to truth being lost in the fiction, I don't think it will be. The original records will presumably still be there. In Legacy we have the option to use Surety Levels from 0 to 4 when citing our Sources. If I read a Church Register and see X I'll probably give it a Surety of 4. If you tell me "I know X is so because I read the Church Register" and I know you and know you are honest and reliable I might give a Surety of 3. If I read on some stranger's website "X is so" I will give it a Surety of 0 until such time as my researches can corroborate.
--
Jenny M Benson