Dawn and Bill,

I have specific present problems, but my question was intended to be general.
Two examples, a data disjoint one from my maternal tree, the other missing
people gaps from a project:

John Pratt b. ~1520 left a PCC will entailing Plymtree property to Edward>male
heirs, line failing Richard & same, line failing John the younger and same,
else females. A William Pratt was churchwarden in Plymtree in 1630 (my mother's
line), clearly a grandson of John by likely minimum age for that and death
date, but of which son? Burke's Peerage notes issue to Edward but no names;
Richard's are all known, but no William; John the younger had one son, William,
and two daughters who contested their father's PCC will leaving all property -
unspecified - to William. There might be proof in the resulting Sentence, but
my Latin hasn't been used in 50 years. Either Edward had a William son - timing
iffy for that - OR he passed Plymtree on (perhaps because he had Kentisbeare
property or annoyed at his nieces) OR he had no surviving son or all daughters
AND Richard passed on Plymtree in favor of the youngest brother or nephew.

Clearly, my mother descended from scion John. Currently, I have her line headed
with "Mr. Pratt" as a placeholder who maps to either Edward or John the
younger, and a separate Pratt genealogy omitting the Plymtree line. I'd like a
graceful connection which permits merger but cannot propagate error: My
grandfather had Plymtree as a given name and went by it. My mother had access
to the War Room unchallenged by sentries and almost certainly saw Winston
Churchill there - presumably neither knowing they shared John Pratt of 1520 as
an ancestor. It's too good a family tale to pass up...

The other example derives from a single name DNA project. It appears that an
early 11th century clade head from Normandy had descendants who obtained
property in England ~1150, eventually changed name to the place, branched with
a further change and probably left a further place name related variants as
yeomen cadets or lesser sons. Since the names are geographically restricted and
distinctive, DNA may be unusually effective and economical to relate
descendants. Further, there is early history and genealogies to ~1400, and two
or more probably related ones, modern back to 1500. That probably offers
unusual opportunity for DNA research (as distinct from genealogical). Best for
that would be a working group with a master file set and website to map all the
names group in a 5 county UK area using Legacy facilities. Those like timeline
charting are notably valuable for analysis of provisional data assemblies,
aiding discussion and exposing logic to argument, but one then needs to provide
Legacy with links across gaps. Obvious options are parent with children born a
century or more later, or insertion of placeholders like
Parent>Missing1390>Missing1425>Missing1460>Child1492. Research needs may be a
bit oddball, but now that we have DNA as a genealogical tool and proof, many
genealogies will reliably connect to others, though the precise linkage be
unknown. If that isn't a common problem yet, it will be. Is there a way within
Legacy to span such gaps in lineage? Or any workarounds for this problem?

kb