From: "Carl Cox" <ct...@centurytel.net>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Monday, April 05, 2010 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] SourceWriter & Evidence Explained

<<I had a few ancestors "warned out" of Vermont. As Ann said communities
were
legally responsible for taking care of those who could not care for
themselves. If newcomers did not appear to be capable they would issue an
order to depart town, and if they did not they were escorted out.  My
records come from the Town Records of the various towns.>>

I understood that when a family moved to a new town, if the elders of the
town thought they might require assistance at some time in the future they
'warned them out' legally, so that if they ever did need assistance the
paperwork was already in place, and the family knew they would get no help
in the new town. But they were not forced to leave as long as they did not
need aid. Is my understanding wrong?

--
Carl        ct...@centurytel.net