Lisa:

I suspect there may be a misunderstanding somewhere.  I've worked with both FTM
(an older version) and Legacy, and Legacy's method beats FTM hands-down.  You
might watch the free training video at Legacy's site, especially the Sourcing
section.

Legacy's approach is slightly different from FTM's I believe, and that may be
causing the difficulty.  I won't use the census as an example because then the
list tends to get into a "splitting vs lumping" discussion but if you have a
book like _A Genealogical Dictionary of the First Settlers of New England_, you
set that up as a Master Source with the author, title, and publisher's
information.  That's the first level of sourcing.

The second level, or detail, is this:  When you find a reference to an ancestor
in that book you go to the Individual's Information screen and enter the facts
in the appropriate fields and click on the "up" arrow on the left to open the
Source Clipboard.  Clear the Clipboard and follow the steps on the screen to
select your _Genealogical Dictionary_ Master Source.  Fill in the fields on the
Clipboard and, if you wish, enter the text regarding that ancestor and any of
your own comments under the Text/Comments tab and click Save, which returns you
to the Individual's Information screen.  Next, put your cursor in any of the
fields supported by the source and click on the "-" sign under the up arrow.
That will attach the source citation to each of the fields that you select.
(You can verify this by clicking on the books icon and you'll see a list of the
fields that have a source attached.)

If you find something on a different ancestor on another page, you just repeat
the Clipboard portion of the process putting in that ancestor's relevant
details.  It takes a little time to get used to the steps, but very soon it
becomes second nature.  The Show List option on the Master Source List screen
will give you a list of all the individuals who use that same book as a source
citation but it won't show you their individual source citation details, it
only lists their ID, name, sex, etc.

Try it a few times and you'll soon love it.

Kirsten