---- Original Message ----
From: jmglover
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: 08 May 2010 14:14
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Step-children.... in Family Group Sheets

> Ron,
>    Yes, I'm still having problems with the step-children.
>
> My son's wife had two children from a previous marriage, our son has
> been with them for most of their life, and they are now in their mid
> teens.
>
> He has a daughter with his wife.
>
> What he wants me to be able to do is to acknowledge the step children
> as step-children in his Family Group Record etc. He doesn't want them
> to be recorded as his birth children.
>
> I do have them as 1/2 children on the main Family file.
>
> I'd be happy for you to give me the steps to do the above if it's
> possible please.
> many thanks,
> Jill
>

> Legacy User Group guidelines:
>    http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
> Archived messages after Nov. 21 2009:
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergroup@legacyusers.com/
>    http://www.mail-archive.com/legacyusergr...@legacyfamilytree.com/

Jill,

You first have to link the two children to your son, as though they
were his birth children.

Focus the first child in Family View and click on the Parents' Icon (two
adults with a number 1 on them) and Link the child to Existing Parents
ie. your son and his wife. Repeat for the second child.

Focus on your son in Family View and right click on the first child,
select Children's Settings and then use the blue drop down arrow to set
Relationship to father as "Step". If it is not on there, use the ADD
button to put it in. Repeat for the second child. There is no need to
enter anything for the mother's status.

In Reports>Family Group>Report Options>Include check Child-parent
relationship and "Step" will show in the report against the family.

Please note that in some reports the children will appear twice, this is
both correct and normal!

Ron Ferguson

*New* Tutorial: Add Location Pins to Google Earth
http://www.fergys.co.uk
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
And the Fergusons of N.W. England