The data were entered over time so I don't recall what I did for each instance,
but this is how I generally do it.

Enter couple: John Jones and Mary Smith
Add children: James, Sally, etc.
If any info [generally a surname] about spouses of children is known [from
obits, etc.] attach that spouse to the child and enter that info leave other
field [for given name] blank: Sally married [unknown given name, so I leave it
blank] Parker
When I find the missing information, go to the spouse's data block in the
Family view and enter the new info [generally the given name]: [blank] Parker
becomes Thedore Parker.

In the Descendant Narrative report I get "Sally married someone Theodore
Parker."

I also just checked, and there are no "unknown" spouses in the "husband/wife
of" icon in the various persons data block.

I'm running 7.0.0.109 [no I haven't updated to 7.4 because of issues that keep
coming up], on Windows XP.   Marianne