Marilyn:

Families will run on an iPad and iPhone.  I have it running on my iPhone and
have an iPad also.
I also have GedView, FamViewer, and Tree-to-Go on my iPhone and iPad.

Families allows you to edit the file on the iPhone/iPad and then transfer
(write a new Legacy file) back to your computer.  Families is the best one
to work directly with Legacy files to include pictures and all events.

The others mostly transfer a GEDCom file to the iPhone app and then you can
view the information and see a tree or report.  The screens are too small on
the iPhone to be of much use when viewing, but you do have all of your
genealogy information at your finger tips.

The Tree-to-Go works directly on-line with your family tree information on
Ancestry.com and allows editing your information on the web site.

For Legacy users, the Families App is the best one to work with.

Keep in mind that all of these apps lack many of the features you have come
to expect on your desktop Legacy software, but they are very useful and I
would highly recommend all of them.  GedView is probably my 2nd choice for
an app on the iPhone/iPad.

Good luck.

___
Leon Chapman