There are many errors in Ancestry's source information:  wrong page numbers,
incomplete and/or inaccurate descriptions of the microfilm from which they made
the images (e.g. not telling you it was an FHL microfilm, and/or giving the
wrong microfilm number) etc.

Best practice, IMO, is to *cite what you use.*  If I use the "Missouri Marriage
Records, 1805-2002" database at Ancestry.com and I can determine that the image
is of Jasper Co. Marriage Book C, p. 152 (stamped) from Missouri State Archives
microfilm, but Ancestry does not provide a microfilm number, that is what my
citation will say.

It would be nice if I could travel 1500 miles and use the original source, but
that is not going to happen any time soon.  I would feel I was being
irresponsible, inaccurate, and deceptive if I did not mention Ancestry.com (or
other website/URL) in the citation.

Most style guides differentiate both in content and format between an entry in
a bibliography and a source citation/footnote.  It will vary with the
discipline, college professor, professional journal, etc. but it has not been
my experience that most research papers require only a bibliography.

In genealogy, at least in the US, the standard is to cite the source for each
statement of fact that is not common knowledge, not lump everything together in
a bibliography.  So, I'm glad that Legacy now provides for both source
citations/footnotes AND bibliographies.

Connie