Jerry,

Clearly we are not going to agree on the subject of place names, and I do
not agree with what you say below either. Place names should be those used
at the time of the event, and not only from the point of view of accuracy.
Let us consider the town of Slaithwaite in Yorkshire, England, or rather it
was until the boundaries changed and its location became Slaithwaite,
Lancashire, England, much to the annoyance of the residents of the town - I
mean what were the Wars of the Roses for if not to protect our borders?

Anyhow if one writes the location using the current county of Lancashire
then it will not easily be found in the 19c  censuses as it was then in
Yorkshire.

Not being a 100 years old, yet, I am not included in any censuses but should
anyone be bothered looking for me when they are published, the will see that
I was brought up in the Hamlet of Winton in Eccles, Lancashire, England. In
1974 Eccles was merged into the City of Salford, so now the location is
Winton, Eccles, Salford, Lancashire, England. It doesn't look like much of a
change, but actually it is, because prior to 1971 Eccles was a county
borough with its own administration and police force etc. Now it is a
district of Salford, not the same at all and one will certainly not find
Eccles in Salford in the censuses prior to 1974.

These are just a couple of examples, but the principle applies to all
historic data, it will not be found if one looks in the wrong place.

Ron Ferguson
http://www.fergys.co.uk/