On 2010/09/29 17:33, Scott Hall wrote:

> Good information in that blog ... thanks for linking to it.  A question,
> though ... why is the addition of "UK" at the end of the location
> unacceptable?  Couldn't one write, in your example, "Southampton,
> Hampshire, England, United Kingdom" in that the city of Southampton is
> in Hampshire County, in the country of England, which is part of the
> United Kingdom?  I wonder if you're being too rigid that the the "thrid
> comma" must be state.
> In my database, I've opted to use descriptors, for example:  Muncy
> Borough, Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, USA as opposed to Muncy,
> Lycoming County, Pennsylvania, USA.  I do this because, in this case
> there are two Muncys -- Muncy Township and Muncy Borough, so just saying
> "Muncy" gives you no clue as to which one I am referring.  For places
> that have an even lower level, such as a village within a town, I
> sometimes use five commas like Manchester (village), Manchester (town),
> Ontario County, New York, USA, although I suppose one could simply
> eliminate the town and stick to the four comma approach.
> Anyway, for Southampton, my file would show Southamption (city),
> Hampshire County, England, UK.  This doesn't mean that England is a
> state, which it is not, just that it is a component of the UK.
> Thoughts?

The use of UK and England together is superfluous. It's akin to saying
America, USA.

Also, there is only one county in England that has an extraneous County
in its name: County Durham. For the sake of further argument, I would
gratefully exclude Ireland, both parts from this discussion. Thus, your
Hampshire County is like chalk on a blackboard to us Brits - it grates.
So, Hampshire only!

It's a pity that the British postcode system wasn't devised a whole lot
earlier than it was. Then we could use the likes of CM11 2QA for my
former address in England :-) Much more precise than the zip code in the US.

--
Regards,
Mike Fry