From: Tom Watkins
Sent: Monday, September 12, 2011 2:44 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] UnSourced Internet Trees

Good Morning Michele,

As you well know, most folks start out in this hobby without any formal
training; just a curiosity as to where they came from.  Thus, they start
collecting information. It is only after they are bitten by the genealogy
bug hard enough to take a course or join a list similar to LUG; do they
learn the value of proper sourcing. Some of my early sources consists of a
name and invalid/out dated email address. It was only after I became serious
about the hobby did my source quality improve. Even today, I doubt that many
of my sources meet the standards set by Elizabeth Shown Mills. Please keep
in mind that this is a hobby for most of us which we do for our own
enjoyment and not to meet requirements set by others.

I am not critical of those who post the information. I am critical to those
that utilize information located from any source without verifying it for
themselves.

[><]

Tom Watkins
Eau Gallie, Florida