From: Alan Pereira
Sent: Thursday, September 22, 2011 10:05 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] loss of data

Michele,

The European & UK Data protection Laws are applicable to living individuals
only.   See the following web page for details

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_organisations/data_protection/the_guide/principle_8.aspx

I publish my family tree on RootsWeb but specifically exclude anyone born after
1909 (at present) this ensures that no living person is published -  I don't
have any centenarians in my tree.  I generally point people to that tree for
sharing.

You will see if you read through the web site, that I am able to share
information, even on the living, under certain strict conditions and only to
Countries within the European Union or Countries which have met other Data
Protection criteria.

The real stumbling block for sharing details on the living is that I must have
prior approval from each of the living people in the database that they are
willing to let me share that information.

Alan