From: "Geoff Rasmussen" <ge...@legacyusers.com>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2011 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Locations

Hey Tony,

I wish people would disagree with me more often - we all can learn from each
other.

However, understanding the location at the time of the event is crucial to
research success. Woodstock, Connecticut has always had the same
latitude/longitude. Today it resides in Windham County. If you look for
records in Woodstock, Windham County for an ancestor that lived in Woodstock
in 1720, you won't find what you are looking for because at that time it
resided in Suffolk County, Massachusetts. If I were to record the person's
birth as 1720 in Woodstock, Windham County, Connecticut, it would be false -
the place simply did not exist then. My recommendation then is to record the
location as it existed at the time of the event AND in the event's notes,
record the name of the place as it exists today to cross-reference each
other.

Good luck,

Geoff