From: Alan Pereira
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 5:53 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Locations

The way I would see it handled would be via an "options setting" where you
choose whether to show current location or location at the time of the
event.  A bit like whether to show long or short names.
I am visualising a preloaded Location Table which gets updated via Legacy
Updates or via some mechanism similar to the way Virus Checking Software
Update their databases.  This database would be activated on entering the
Event date and the start of the Location similat to the way new family
search tries to identify locations based on your input.
If you had a family living at the same address over 10 generations and the
loaction changed 3 times in that period I would expect based on dates all 3
locations to show up in the database depending on the date.
All those historical locations would have the same current location.
e..g  for UK
1867 Islington, Middlesex, England
1890 Islington, London, England
1970 Islington, Greater London, England
Current: Islington, Greater London, England: effective Date 1965

Of course, if you wish to use the full location as it was at the time,
including street and house number / name, then this all goes out the window.
unless... One uses the above scenario for the short name to match the master
location list.
Alan