From: cranberryf...@cobridge.tv [mailto:cranberryf...@cobridge.tv]
Sent: 18 November 2011 14:13
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Locations

Alan,
That is interesting to know.  I am not LDS so I don't have access to the New
Family Search yet.  I use the standard 4 place markers for US locations but I
also have a lot of foreign locations as well.  For Germany I use 3, for Poland
I use 4.  I keep it standard within each country.  I still say consistency is
the most important.  It makes your work look more professional.  It also makes
it easier to share info back and forth.  Legacy is set up for 4 place markers
which is the US standard.  The geo locations and searches rely on the 4 place
markers.  If everyone out there is doing something completely different then it
just muddies everything up.

NOTE: It isn't just locations!  It is the same thing with names and with dates!
 Some people put women under their MARRIED name which is not the standard.
Some people do their dates backwards and use only numbers which
really messes other people up.   Locations are no different.  Another issue
with locations is what we recently talked about, recording the location as it
was at the time the event occurred.  There are people that don't do that.
If they share their info (upload it to Family Search for example), it just
makes their stuff not credible and muddies everything up.

Michele