On 02/01/2012 10:10, BF wrote:
> Is there a way to search for a middle name in the index?  Some folks go
> by their middle name and when I don't rem their 'unused' first name I
> have to search through the surname.  Just a nuisance with the relatively
> small tree I'm working on now, but will be a bigger problem when I start
> working on my families.  Didn't see it addressed in archives since 09.

If a person is known by any name which is not the first given name, you
should enter their full Forename as follows:

Jane Mary "Mary" or Henry "Hal".

In Reports you can choose to Use Quoted Name for Narratives and Remove
Quoted Given Names so you report might read Jane Mary Doe was born ....
Mary married ..."

You can search for these people by using the Detailed Search and
selecting Given Names / Contains / "Mary" or Given Names / Contains / "Hal".

--
Jenny M Benson