On 13/01/2012 15:52, Jerry wrote:
> What field do you think should be used for different spellings, if not AKA?

Well,  it's not so much a case of what field *should* be as what field
(if any) I or anyone else *chooses* to use!  Personally, I don't use any
field as such.

Example.  I have a family named Mathews, but quite often the name
appears as Matthews.  If Matthews appears in a Birth, Marriage or Death
Index, for example, I will write Matthews as the Surname in the Source
template.  If Matthews appears on a Census my Event Description, where
where I write all the info from the Census for each person, will show
the Matthews spelling and in the Source I will write "household of ...
Matthews"

I use the AKA field only for cases where a person had an "official"
name, but was also known by a different name, such a cousin of mine
whose forenames were Horatio John but he was almost always called Peter,
both within and without his family.   I don't put nicknames or
abbreviations in the AKA field, either.

--
Jenny M Benson