It's difficult or impossible to have one computer answer every need. I got
so tired of dealing with Windows quirks and failures that I finally went
down to the Apple store and told them to give me a computer, don't show me
the receipt, I don't care what it costs, just give me what I need. You will
probably pay more, but you will be happy. Dealing with using Legacy on a
Mac will be a small hassle. It's a shame Legacy can't get with the program,
Apple's share of the market is only going to continue to increase. I had a
desktop all my life and now can't understand why. I take my laptop
everywhere. It's a 15 inch which borders on being too large on an airplane
but I do a lot of image manipulation and websites so I need a larger
screen. It weighs about 5 pounds, even though it is slim, it still is a
little heavy. If you don't need a big screen for images, then a 13 would
work well. You get used to the keyboard to where now, a real keyboard feels
weird. You could always buy a USB keyboard for home use. Now, I have been
talking about a Macbook Pro. Apple is coming out with a 15 Macbook Air with
a stronger processor and a larger SSD hard drive next month. The Air is
half the weight and much slimmer than a Pro. The SSD hard drive makes the
machine far more responsive even though the Pro is very responsive in it's
own right. One way they make it lighter and slimmer other than eliminating
the old style harddrive with it's tendency to fail (no moving parts in the
SSD) is the elimination of the CD/DVD drive. To be able to use CDs/DVDs,
you need to buy a separate drive that you would plug in as needed. I never
realized how little I used that until I began considering buying an Air.
People who switch from a Windows machine to Apple are considered cult
members and maybe that's true. At a minimum, I drink the Kool-Aide. Apple
derives it's reputation from the fact that Apple makes both software and
the hardware. They have very tight control over the software and total
control over the hardware. Windows makes only software that hopes to work
well with hardware that comes from a hundred manufacturers, a daunting
task. Apple's software has to work only with Apple hardware. The hassle is
that occasionally you come across a software company that only makes a
Windows version. I would never trade the dependability and usability of my
Mac just to run one Windows software. The switch will entail a learning
curve, but Apple provides unlimited one to one in-store support (I say
unlimited a you can go in any number of times, but they won't spend all day
with you) and free classes and you can also pay for a year's worth on one
to one support. They also provide a year of telephone support. The help in
the stores is a revelation in itself. Do yourself a favor. I'm guessing
your friends feel the same way.

Ric