  From: Georgia
  To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
  Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 8:38 PM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Trying to enter information that will result in
readable reports

  This is my first time weighing in with an answer but I wanted to offer a
  couple of thoughts.
  Jerry - I understand your desire to have accurate descriptions for
  events and that "census" doesn't seem like an event.  I believe the
  actual event is "appearance on the census" which very specifically ties
  an individual to a date and a location.  For me, Census is both an event
  and a source.  I use the census as a source for approximate birth date
  and place, occupation, residence, sometimes marriage, etc.  I also
  create a census event (considering that census is an abbreviation for
  "appearance on a census") as Geoff does.

  I am still deep in the research state of my work so being able to see at
  a glance where a person was during specific decades, helps me decide
  where to research next.  I also like being able to click on "edit" when
  the event is highlighted so that I can quickly confirm who is in the
  household and what they were doing there.

  As for reports, I realize that how we input the data will affect the
  output but I have always assumed that I would be making substantial
  edits to any report (copy and paste into Word as someone suggested) or
  even that I would use the report as an outline to write my own narrative.

  Perhaps one of the factors to consider in how to enter your census data
  is whether you want to glance at a person's events to see a quick
  chronology - or not!

  Georgia - researching Ohio and Mississippi from California

  Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on
our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).