On 11/03/2012 12:07, John Magyari wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's ideas.
> Some of my Polish time periods use 4 some 5 positions
>
> I decided to force all 5 location positions into 4.  Having same number
> of fields helps with sorting.
>
> Ideally if would be nice to specify Number of locations field MAX.Â
> Then if entered with less fields specify which fields to become null.
> ie. MaxPositions = 5,  LessPositionOrder if less 2,3if less than MAX
> ie For Me for Poland
> city, administration, county, state, country (1,2,3,4,5)
> If less fields entered enter Nulls
> city, county, state, country (Null 1 field - admin)
> city, state, country (Null other 2 fields -admin, county)
> city, state (Null other 3 fields)
> state (Null other 4 fields)
>

> I will use 4 fields, and in the process converted all locations with
> fewer positions to 4 position system.

Surely the aim should always be to enter *accurate* information and you
are not doing that.

If you are "forcing" 5 elements into 4, are you implying that, there is
a place called "Village Town", when in fact it is a place called
"Village" with a place called "Town"?  And if you make a 3-element
location fit 4 fields, you are presumably adding an extra comma
somewhere which inevitably implies that there is a missing element, but
in your case there isn't!

Because I include complete addresses in the location field, I have
anywhere from 1 element (only know the country) to 6 or 7 elements in a
location.  If I want to see them grouped together I sort them from right
to left.  It's not a problem.

--
Jenny M Benson