On 2012-03-12 16:37, Eric Wiggers wrote:
> The number one priority of any genealogy software should be to preserve the
> data that the users have input,
> representing perhaps years of labor.  If that data needs to be changed for
> internal or external purposes,
> "ideally" the software should inform the users before the fact, and then give
> the users a choice based on why
> the changes would be necessary (to perform certain specified functions).
> Perhaps more ideally, if the user
> then does opt to have the data changed, the next step might be to offer a
> backup of the effected data in the
> existing format, before proceeding with changes.  My five cents' worth...

In my case I changed from United States to USA years ago.  With the long
form, the sentences in reports were much longer and reading them was so
tedious and repetitive that even I did not want to do it, much less
family members who have no interest in genealogy.

If I were going to expand "USA", which I'm not, "United States" would be
only my third choice.  I would greatly prefer "United States of America"
since it makes no logical sense to expand the "U" and the "S" but not
the "A".

I have never used FamilySearch, but I assume that Legacy interacts with
it by passing data back and forth.  In that case, Legacy could do the
conversion both to and from "USA" and "United States" during the passing
of data between Legacy and FamilySearch rather than simply trashing the
users' data file.  They probably chose the latter because it was a
little bit easier for them, no matter how much extra work was created
for many users.  Having to change "United States" back to "USA" all the
time is a task that it is all too easy for forget occasionally and one
that users should not be expected to do at all.