On 3/13/2012 10:06 AM, Mike Fry wrote:
> On 2012/03/13 14:50, Gene Young wrote:
>
>> It does change your database when every new location you enter is
>> entered in a default that is different from what you are and have been
>> using.  The point is I should not have to take the extra steps needed to
>
>> change every new entry back to the form I prefer to use.
>
> So... edit GeoCountryCodes.txt and set it back to what it was! Then, make it
> read-only. A future update shouldn't then be able to replace it.

And therein is my basic complaint.  Dave Naylor sent a private email
(Please respond to the list in the future so that all my benefit.)
This is information that should have been made readily available (like
in the help file).  I include the bulk of Dave's email for others who
may need it.

--------------------------BEGIN QUOTE----------------------------
A long time ago Millennia provided the flexibility to have our
locations as we wanted them and provided full instructions about how
to change the defaults.

This all still exists, but the instructions are no longer around and
no one seems to know or are willing to mention how.

Legacy's Geo defaults are in 4 separate files named Geo*.txt

These files can be updated by Millennia at any time so *user*
defaults should not be set in them.  Instead you copy the appropriate
file -- for the "USA" this is the GeoCountryCodes.txt -- so you will
have your defaults/modifications in GeoCountryCodes-Alt.txt

When Legacy runs it checks to see if there is a user "-Alt" file to
provide the defaults.  If not it uses Millennia's Geo... file with
the -Alt in the name.

The change you need to make to your GeoCountryCodes-Alt.txt file is
near the bottom in the USA section where you should remove the + sign
prefixing United States.  The lack of a plus sign signifies that USA
should be used for long locations.  The lack of a minus sign
signifies that USA should be used for short locations.  If you wanted
all your USA locations to have "Gene" for the country for long
locations you would be add a new line "USA|+Gene"
--------------------------BEGIN QUOTE----------------------------

Millenia makes the best genealogy program by far, however, they all too
often rush a new feature to release with out any effort to have the help
files keep pace.  If this information had been in the help file where it
belongs, I would have found it, corrected it and moved on with out even
posting about it.  This failure to keep the help files updated has been
noted and commented on by many others.  It is time for this most
important file for Legacy to be brought to a current status with
appropriate information.

I am done preaching and this subject is closed as far as I am concerned.
I hope Millenia takes this hint and updates the help files, however,
judging from past performance in this area, I think I will refrain from
holding my breath as my grand-kids say I don't look good in blue.

Thanks to Dave for the info.  I had it, but lost it when my last
computer died.  I now have it saved to a separate location.
--

Gene Young
Researching Young, Harer, Cox & Sallada