From:Michele Lewis <ancestor...@gmail.com>
To:LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Sent: Sun, April 29, 2012 5:34:58 PM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] 1940 census template questions

This is a good question.  Legacy’s templates have “blanks” for all of the stuff
you are supposed to cite.  One of those “blanks” is for WHERE you accessed the
record.  You want to say if it was a FHL microfilm, or a FamilySearch image, or
an Ancestry image etc.  One reason was discussed today on the Association of
Professional Genealogists email list.  It was actually being discussed in
reference  to a different topic but it applies here.  The different
“repositories” treat the images differently.  They enhance them to make them
more clear and readable.  Each one has their own way of doing this.

Let’s say I access the census on Ancestry and I see a name like this…

Williams, James.

But, let’s say someone else looked at it at FamilySearch.  Because the image was
enhanced differently a faint “on” shows up at the end of the name so now we have
Williamson, James

It can make a difference so you need to direct people back to the exact image
that you examined.

Michele

<snip>

In the particular case of Federal Census records, is it really important to cite
the website through which you viewed the records?

--P