Gavin,

This is going to be my last word on this subject, as I feel we are going around
in circles.

I will agree with you on at least one point.

1) Would it help if Legacy published the algorithm they use to calculate the
probability – yes
2) Would I expect Legacy to realise that if a person is found in an Ireland and
a Scotland census on the same date it shows that a person is living in one
country and not the other – not necessarily. If Legacy only searches for an
Event/Fact called “census” then it would not find one called “census –
Scotland”. This could be improved by using the SQL “LIKE” term, but I do not
know the Legacy search method.
3) Would I expect Legacy to identify that a person is likely to be in a
different country on census night – definitely not. It must be remembered that
Legacy is an international program, and whilst it goes some way to help those
of us who live in the UK it cannot be expected to evaluate all the quirks which
arise because it comprises 3/4 different countries. As I previously indicated,
I would not expect Legacy to search a database of every country to ensure that,
for all individuals, it is probably that they are living in a specific country
at the time of a census.

I’m sorry, Gavin, but what I am saying is that I think you are expecting too
much for any program to meet your specification. As I have said, you can refine
the search yourself using other search criteria and tagging. Sometimes a
program cannot replace the human touch!

Ron Ferguson
http://www.fergys.co.uk/