On 25/08/2012 17:24, Pat Hickin wrote:
> I am wondering how people enter the Source List Names.
>
> I have tried to find a formula (without much success), one easy to
> remember.
>
> Now I'm thinking I'd like to have the categories together -- e.g.,
> books, articles, census records.
>
> Needless to say, the Internet really complicates things, especially with
> sources you've  used in a variety of ways: online, sometimes used the
> actual physical document, book,   or whatever, and sometimes used
> microfilm images, sometimes used abstracts, /etc., ad infinitum./
> /
> /
> I'd especially like to know if anyone has a system they're really
> pleased with.

There are probably as many "systems" in use as there are LUGgers using them!

The important thing, of course, is that YOU know how to find a
particular Source, so the name must be obvious to YOU.  Some people
prefer to group by Location, but it makes more sense to me to group by
TYPE, so the first words of my Source Names are "Birth Index" or "Book"
or "Census" or "Website"...  (It might make sense to you to list "Birth
Certificates", "Death Certificates", "Marriage Certificates" or you
might prefer "Certificates - Birth", "Certificates - Death" and so on.
It just depends how your mind works!)

In the case of something like a Book or a Website, the rest of the Name
will be the Title or Name of the book/website.  In other cases it might
be the region the records relate to or might be where the records are
located, so I have Sources named "Birth Index - FreeBMD" and "Birth
Index - FindMyPast" (indicating the website where I accessed the
indexes) and I have "Parish Registers - FindMyPast" and "Parish
Registers - Liverpool."  FindMyPast have one Search Screen for Parish
Registers from many regions, but when I see "Parish Registers -
Liverpool" I know I am referring to location-specific databases on
Ancestry.  That makes sense to ME and that is all that matters.

Another thing which makes sense to ME is that I refer to "Parish
Records" and to "Parish Registers".  That tells me immediately that I am
looking at transcriptions in the first instance and at images of the
originals in the second.

--
Jenny M Benson