Pat - I agree that there are many ways to approach this issue. The key
is to find a system that makes sense to you and then stick with it -
be consistent and spend the time at the outset to play around and get
it right (for you). Personally I found that breaking things up by type
first and location second works best. Customizing Legacy is KEY and
our Legacy Virtual Users' Group (on Google+ and also a website) had
this as one meeting/presentation. The powerpoint slides with examples
are at the Filing Cabinet there. I hesitate to give a link since this
group has issues with attachments and such but, if you type Legacy
Virtual Users' Group in your search box, you should be able to bring
up both sites.
Tessa Keough
Guild of One-Name Studies, No. 5089
Legacy Virtual Users' Group
One Place Studies - Plate Cove, Newfoundland
Surnames - Keough, Murphy, Aylward, Kocevar, Lidman, Zagradisnik