My apologies to all. The two lists I attempted to include
with my previous e-mail did not display well, even though I
kept to plain text and spaces, rather than tabs to separate
them. Here are those two lists one above the other in hopes
that they will be easier to read. I have included the
content of my original post to make it easier for everyone
to associate the lists with the text of my e-mail. Sorry
about any inconvenience.

John Zimmerman
Mesa, AZ

============================

Pat and Marnie,

I am in complete accord with you on Legacy Help screens, and
to a great extent on the Legacy 7 manual as well.Entries
tend to present the user with a multitude of exceptions
rather than on the most simple, straight forward procedures
that are liable to be sought after by first time Legacy
novices.The Legacy Help System Keyword Search presents
information in a convoluted, and non-intuitive fashion that
can be daunting to use by even a seasoned Legacy enthusiast.

Let's examine "Sources" as an example.This mailing list
probably discusses sources more than any other subject.
Partly because we all tend to enter sources differently from
person to person, so much verbiage is expended on this list
diagramming, justifying and rebutting one-another’s source
citing philosophies. However at least as much energy is
expended explaining things that new Legacy users should be
able to find using the Help System. Unfortunately they
cannot find those explanations because the Help System is
not very well organized.

If I click on “Help/Show Help Index” then key in “Sources” I
am presented with a list of 32 sub-headings under the word
"Sources".With "Sources" highlighted in the resulting
Keyword List I am invited to click on a "Display" button at
the bottom right of the list, and if I click on that button
in hopes that the large screen area to the right of the
Keyword List will fill with information about Sources I am
sorely disappointed, for instead I am presented with yet
another list! The "Topics Found List" is only 23 items, but
surprisingly four of them duplicate entries on the Keyword
List of sub-headings (see the two lists below). The oddities
of capitalization in the lists are taken directly from the
Help System.
Keyword List

Sources
Adding when exporting GEDCOMs
Advanced source citations
Assignment when importing
Author
Citation report
Citations
citations (advance)
citations to groups
Clipboard
Clipboard loading
Comments
Definition
Description
Detail
Detail Comments
Detail options
Details
Entry system
in Notes
Marriage information
Name
Name options
on Reports
Options for books
Search for missing
SourceWriter
Tab on name list
Templates
Text
Type
which system to use

Topics Found List

Adding Source Types
Advanced Source Citations
AutoSource - Export
Book Source Options
Citing the Sources of Your Information
Define or Edit a Master Source
Defining Master Sources
How to Document Your Information
Importing a GEDCOM File
Information Screen
Marriage Information
Master Source List
Master Source Type List
Missing Sources Search
Name List
Report Options
Source Citation Report
Source Clipboard
Source Detail
Source Detail Comments
Sources Tab
SourceWriter
Which Source System to Use

To my way of thinking when a user highlights “Sources” in
the Keyword List, then clicks on “Display,” they should be
presented with some text in the right window that explains
the fundamentals of citing sources as well as explaining
that there are two systems in Legacy (Basic and
SourceWriter) for citing sources. If the user is a little
savvy about genealogy they will be able to figure out that
“Citing the Sources of Your Information” will probably
provide some basic information, and indeed it does, but I’d
like to know why “Citing the Sources of Your Information” is
not one of the items on the Keyword List and why clicking
"Display" while "Sources" is highlighted on the original
list the user does not trigger that same information about
citing sources instead of getting another list?

If the organization of the Keyword List is not confusing
enough, throughout the Help system the text refers to icons
by their name. A new user is not going to be familiar with
what those icons look like. The Help system should show
pictures of those icons when they are referenced.

To sum up, the Legacy Help system is full of information,
but it is presented in such a convoluted, non-intuitive
fashion as to put off the user, rather than lead them down
the path to knowledge.

John Zimmerman
Mesa, AZ