From: "hwedhlor" <hwedh...@cox.net>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 13, 2012 2:55 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] What to do with genealogical files after death of
compi ler

JLB and Robert Austen,

Thank you both for your kind remarks.

On the further subject of archiving images in Legacy and
elsewhere, while I was working through the thousands of
documents, articles and images a lady delivered to my friend
a pair of cardboard boxes, each measuring about two feet on
each side. Both boxes were filled to the brim with beautiful
photographs, mostly from the last quarter of the 19th
century, though some were as late as the 1920s from the
styles of clothing, and some were early cabinet photos from
the 1860s. They were all extremely well preserved and
unblemished, mounted in mats and folders. The product of a
variety of studios in a variety of geographic locations. The
lady who brought them had no idea who they were, or to whom
they might be related. She knew that we were doing some
fairly intensive work on family history and thought we might
be able to identify some of them or find descendants who
might like to have them. Unfortunately not a single
photograph had any identifying markings. Those photos should
have been scanned and posted on web sites for others to view
and possibly identify. I have no idea what the disposition
of those photos was. What a tragic loss to the families of
those in the photos.

I urge all of you to mark the photos you have with names,
dates, places and circumstances where know, and also to scan
each image and develop a file naming standard that will
allow anyone viewing the file names to know who, what, when
and where they were taken. Paper, or electronic filing
systems that tag photos and image files with numbers and
require separate index lists to identify those in the
photos, or systems that place photos and image files in
folders by surname, but only use given names on the photos
themselves, often end up with the index lists disappearing,
or the photos being separated from the surname folders. Each
individual photo, or electronic image file should bear
enough information to identify the people in the image,
along with the date, place and ideally the circumstances of
that photo or image file.

I strongly urge that your file naming standard be based on
surnames rather than on dates. Our goal is to document the
lives of people, not the happenings of years. Those who come
after us may not have a clue what year look at for a
particular image, but they will recognize the surnames, and
often the given names, of those whose image they seek in a
list of electronic file names. There is much more that can
be done to develop a useful file naming standard, and I have
documented such a standard in previous submissions to this
list. I developed my personal standard over a period of
years working with thousands of photographs of other peoples
families. Having such a file naming standard allowed me to
organize those images so that I could find anyone easily in
seconds. That standard us now fairly well-established,
though minor changes continue to evolve as needs arise. One
of the additional benefits of the file naming standard I use
is that it allows me to keep all of my electronic images of
individuals in a single folder, and images of groups (2 or
more people in a photo), documents and places & things in
three sub-folders. That makes it very easy to both back up
those image files, or to move them if the need arises. If
anyone is interested I will be happy to send them a
five-page rationale and a one-page quick reference sheet,
both in MS Word format, or to publish that rationale here if
there is sufficient demand.

John Zimmerman
Mesa, AZ