I'm sorry.  I guess I misunderstood the problem completely.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bain Family
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:37 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Legacy problems

If I understand correctly, Legacy will open your data according to where you
have told it to open... or where you last opened it from.  If you saved your
data to a thumb drive, then opened the data from the thumb drive (such as to
confirm the data is indeed there), Legacy may be thinking you have
transferred your data to the thumb drive and therefore the thumb drive is
now where you want to work from when starting.  This is standard for many
software programs, not just Legacy and not just genealogy programs.  Many
programs automatically open where it was last told the data was located --
in this case, your thumb drive.

With Legacy open, if you go to FILE in upper left, you can relocate the
"working" data file you wish to use.  You should know where your data is
stored on your computer and therefore can locate it from this window.  If
you do not know where it is, now is a good time to do so.  This is how you
can find it:

(Be sure your thumb drive is NOT connected.)

After clicking FILE this new window opens.  If you DO see your data file on
the right side of that window, make note of where it is located by writing
down the path from the address bar near the top.

If you do NOT see your data file on the right side of that window, scroll
the left side up or down to COMPUTER and click once to highlight COMPUTER
(or if you have multiple drives on your computer and know which drive your
data is in, click the appropriate drive).  After that, click once in the
SEARCH BOX in the upper right of this window.  In the SEARCH BOX, enter the
name of your data file and ENTER; this will start a search of your computer
to find your data file.  You are looking for a TYPE OF FILE called Legacy
Genealogy Software with a DATE MODIFIED of probably last night (or when last
you indeed opened your working data).  When you find it, make note of the
location by writing down the path from the address bar near the top.

You can click on this data file and Legacy will now open it.

After doing this, let's check to be sure the correct default location is
entered in Legacy.  Do this by:

At the top, click OPTIONS>CUSTOMIZE and a new window will open.

In this new window, click the LOCATIONS tab.

In the LOCATIONS tab, the top blank/box will be the Default Location of
family files.  Confirm the correct location is in this box (you should have
made note where the "working" files are from the previous steps).  If the
correct location is in this box, you are done; Click SAVE or CANCEL at the
bottom to exit.  If the correct location is NOT in this box, use the CHANGE
button to the right to enter the correct file path, then click SAVE at the
bottom to save your changes and exit.

Now go to OPTIONS>CUSTOMIZE; in the GENERAL tab choose how you desire the
program to startup.  You can choose the view and the starting family.  You
can also choose to "Always open this file" which may be what you desire if
you only work with one family file.

Exit completely out of Legacy and reopen.  Your working data file should now
open for you.

In the future, when you want to save to your thumb drive instead of to the
default backup file, go to FILE>SAVE AS> YES and continue to save to your
thumb drive.  BE SURE to give this thumb drive file an alternate name so you
know it is the "save as" file and not your "working" file.  Such as, if your
"working" file is SMITH FAMILY then maybe the file saved to the thumb drive
could be "SMITH FAMILY saved to thumb drive".  It may be a bit unorthodox,
but at least you know by looking at the file that it originated from your
SMITH FAMILY file, but is not the "working" file so you don't confuse the
two files.

I hope this helps.

Lana