Yes, you should start with installing the latest version of Legacy.
Copying and pasting your backup Legacy folder over the top of the
installation is not the best idea but it will do in a pinch. That way
you'll preserve your user settings.

After you have it all on your new computer, you can install Legacy again
over the top of everything to make sure you have all the files that
should be there. I think that's how I'd do it anyway if I was where you are.

For the future, there's a backup button that can be dragged onto your
toolbar in Legacy. Right click on the toolbar and it will bring up a
menu of icons. Find the backup button and drag it up to the top and
click OK.

Or you can back up using the File menu. It says right there - Backup
Family File. This will create a zip file. Make a folder for them
wherever you want and you can customize the Location for them on the
Customize Backup screen.

In the future you can use Restore to bring back a zip file.
-----
JL Beeken
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://jlog.jgen.ws/