I agree with everything written so far.  :-)

It is much easier to handle one file than many.  It means you have only
one set of locations and sources (and others, but these are the main
ones), so you can be consistent in your entries.

It also makes finding that elusive person quickly - if you knew the name
but didn't know which tree it was in, should you keep multiple files for
different branches, you'd have to open each and search until you found
him/her.

I have not regretted combining my file with my partners for a moment
since I did that some years ago now.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Wendy