Wendy -

I'll be the dissenting voice.  I have 4 separate projects - my parents
and my husband's parents.  The families lived in different parts of
the country and there is no overlap.  Our children's records are with
my husband's surname.  I've been doing this for about 20 years and
never had a problem. Early on I merged them on a trial basis and
disliked it intensely.  When I am working on a family I go into their
environment - where they lived and their local sources.  Projects are
small and easy to manage.  For me there is no downside.  Most
genealogists disagree, so it is bucking tradition.  Do what you are
comfortable with; you're the one who will put in the time and effort
entering the data.

Virginia