try this - not sure if it will work the way you want though, but it appears
to work for me if I had this situation

On the family view with your adopted child as the selected person, click on
the parents icon (4th from right under the person's brief info)
In that "Parents of (name)" pop up, set the "Relationship to Mother" to
Adopted, and tick the Private box against "Relationship to father"
Then click close and run your report again

fingers crossed that gives the result you want.

Kathy