Hi, John - great explanation!  I have a related question.  Rather than use custom event sentences in 7.5, when creating an Event, I use the Sentence Overide tab option putting [Notes][Sources] in the text box there.  Then I write my own sentence(s) in the text box for the Notes tab - that way the sentence reads exactly as I like.

Will I still be able to do that in V8?

Marianne
-----Original Message-----
From: "John B. Lisle"
Sent: Dec 3, 2013 12:49 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Custom Event Sentences in Legacy v8

Kathy, Kurt, et al,

In part because of Shared Events, a lot of changes were made to Event Sentences.

Let me walk you through some of the changes.

1/ Option 7.10

With L8, the default sentences no longer have the [Notes] and [Sources] fields included, UNLESS YOU WANT TO INCLUDE THEM... (see below...)

This option, allows you to set which order in your sentences you want to arrange those fields.

2/ Creating an event - Note can be included optionally.

When you create an event, you now have an option to not add notes to a sentence. There is a checkbox at the top, that by default is checked, that when unchecked, the Notes are not displayed when the sentence is created.

3/ Editing an event - Add the notes.

When you edit an event, you have a checkbox that allows you for that instance to not display notes when the Sentence is constructed.

4/ Editing Role Notes - 2 checkboxes

When you edit a role for a Shared event, you can elect to include in the sentence, either the Main Notes or the Role Notes or both.

Back to Editing an Event Definition...

5/ Note the preview window that should show you what your sentence will look like. Note you can decide what type of event it will be.

And note the little blue dot that brings up a file you can edit that provides text for the various replacement strings, if you feel a personal need to do that. If you do edit it, please save a copy of your edits, as this file may sometime in the future get overwritten by a Legacy update.

6/ Reset Button

This button brings up a menu of 2 choices -

a. Reset sentences to default

b. Reset sentences to that of another event. This I find exciting as it allows me to load another event's sentences and then make minor edits - or no edits - to work for new event.

Let me give an example:

I have customer events for "World War I Draft Registration" and "World Ward II Draft Registration":

[EventName] for [Name] [onDate] [~atPlace].[Desc][Sources]<:If[Notes]::[CR][Notes]>

I set the 8 sentences up for one of the events and just loaded the other event from the first. With the [Event Name] field, no changes had to be made at all.

Please note that the Condition _expression_ at the end of the sentence has a different format in L8. L8's standard is to use <> angle brackets, in place of [] square bracket, to enclose a conditional.

<:If[Notes]::[CR][Notes]> is something I use with most of my events so that, if I want note a line break inserted before the notes begin, it does not appear if no notes are included with the instance of the event.

L8 does not convert L7 [] conditionals to L8 <> conditionals, but L8 syntax allows for either syntax. I switched mine over as I think the <> is easier to read.

Does this explain better what is going on with basic custom event sentences and notes.

john.

Follow Legacy on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/LegacyFamilyTree) and on our blog (http://news.LegacyFamilyTree.com).