Leo,

I'm pretty much a rookie, so keep that in mind while reading my reply.

Since he was often recorded as Ivan, I would list that as an AKA. This could
help others find information that might not be found otherwise.

For your second question, I'll answer with how I handled a similar problem. As
stated in my original post, my ancestor, Ladendorf, was listed as Lander in the
1860 census. Under the AKAs, I listed "Lander (1860 census)" since I viewed
this as an isolated instance. Others viewing this will immediately know this is
an isolated case, and they will know where to find him in the 1860 census. I
think this will work.