From: Brian L. Lightfoot [mailto:br...@the-lightfoots.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 9, 2014 12:45 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@LegacyUsers.com
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] When to use AKAs

I’m wondering if all those that responded saying that they record every AKA
along with the source where they found it really mean that they record every
common variation of a name. What I mean specifically if someone’s given name
was Robert,  do they record an instance of Bob, and Bobbie, and Rob, and
Robbie. If the name was Franklin, do they record Frank and Frankie? So far I’ve
tended to ignore these common variations as additional AKAs and have only
recorded the unusual ones such as “Stretch”, “Slim”, “Bones”, etc. It just
seems to me that if you record each and every instance of a spelling variation
that you find, you end up with a family file that is grossly inflated in sheer
numbers. I guess what I’m getting at is there has to be a little common sense
applied here. For example, if you do a search for someone named Robert on
FamilySeach, it will automatically include all those common variations to
include Rob, Bob, etc.

Brian in CA