I've isolated 517 WORD files in my media location that are attached to
individuals. Almost all are of information obtained from public records
(obits, wedding notices, anniversaries, birthdays, etc) found on the
Internet in old newspapers or the like, copied and pasted (along with the
source) and saved as a WORD document, some way back when I was using WORD
2003 (.doc extensions) or WORD 2007 (.docx extensions) I use now.

These all open from Windows Explorer using WORD. On an individuals record
in Legacy 8 they are indicated in the "Media Gallery" icon as either .doc
or .docx extensions and only show the caption applied (Wedding
announcement, birthday, obituary). When trying to open (edit) it is when
the *unsupported file format* message appears. When I take the option
*reload original* the same message comes up. However, if I re-add the
item using the *add media* option it is added (linked) and can be opened
via WORD.

On the other hand, some individuals with WORD documents attached open
just fine. It seems to be a random situation. Some work, some don't. It's
just muddling through all 517 or these WORD files checking back to the
individual in Legacy to see which ones aren't linked correctly......

gc

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:10:58 -0800 Richard Van Wasshnova